Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2000 17:09:40 +0100
From:      "Roberto Nunnari, AGIE" <roberto.Nunnari@agie.ch>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   named?

Hello.

I have a problem with a small network of PCs:
whenever trying to telnet/ftp/nfs between hosts
on the local network the gateaway makes a connection
to the ISP and doesn't answer the querying host until
it doesn't make the connection to the ISP. That happen
even if I give the IP address instead of the name.

I set up this small network as follows:
- 192.168.1.1 host1
- 192.168.1.2 host2
- 192.168.1.3 host3
- 192.168.1.4 host4

host1 has a dialup connection to the internet via modem
and is configured as gateway + nat giving the other hosts
access to the internet.
host1 also runs named for this small network and also manages
all names on that network, so that the other hosts' must not
keep their hosts file up to date. resolv.conf contains as
the first line 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' so that the local host
is looked up first. ppp correctly updates resolv.conf.

Probably I miss-configured named , but after seeing
the same behaviour using the IP address I'm a bit confused.

Any hints?
--
              Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                mailto:roberto.nunnari@agie.ch