Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:11:16 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net, gibbs@plutotech.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel builds and obj dirs..

>>The aic7xxx assembler is build in /usr/obj.
>
>This is not right, is it? :-)
>
>One interesting failure mode is when -C is in ${INSTALL}.  Then
>`make install' will not change the timestamp on the assembler,
>`make' will keep reinstalling it, and `make -n' will report
>having to do more than `make' actually does.
>
>Bruce

As I mentioned in Core before making these changes, I'm open to ideas
on how we want to deal with it.  We could move the assembler into
usr.sbin or something and simply use it during kernel compiles, but
that doesn't express the dependency the kernel driver has on the assembler.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations