Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 14:52:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        proff@iq.org (Julian Assange)
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: file locking / firewalling based on uid/gid

> > sockfs anyone ?
>
> I'm all for the everything-is-a-file and the file-system name space
> philosophy of Unix, which has unfortunately been badly corroded over
> the years. See VSTa or plan9 for how file system name spaced should
> be managed.

Bleah. 8-p

String processing in the kernel is a dumb idea... especially if the
only reason for doing it is because you can agree to standardize
words, but can't agree to standardize numeric indices for words.

I would rather not carry all of those strings around, thank you.

Maybe we could do something idiotic, like MD5 the words as part of
the compile process, leaving a 32 bit value unlikely to repeat based
different words, then MD5 the words on the way in and pass around the
MD5 values instead.  Then for value parameters, we could reinvent
DCL CLD's.

Bletch. 8~(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org