Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:59:44 -0600
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

In message <200102261755.f1QHtvr34064@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon writes:
>   This has nothing to do with overcommit in the context it is being
>   discussed.  In fact, this has nothing to do with OS memory management
>   at all -- all garbage collected languages have their own infrastructure
>   to determine when memory pressure requires collecting.

I think we were talking about C, and there are reasonable GC implementations
for C... that assume that they can detect an out-of-memory condition because
malloc returns a null pointer.

>    First, that's bullshit.  Most garbage collection implementations
>    require the memory 'size' to be hardwired.  Second, that's bullshit
>    because any program relying on that sort of operation had damn well
>    better have its datasize limit set to something reasonable, or the
>    garbage collector is going to run the system out of swap before it
>    decides it needs to do a run through.

Fair enough, other circumstances might *also* cause a scan... but the fact
remains that a GC system will want to know when it's out of memory, and
will want some kind of warning other than a segfault.

>    You've completely ignored the point that overcommit has nothing whatsoever
>    to do with memory pressure.  You are assuming that overcommit is some
>    sort of magic bullet that will solve the memory pressure handling problem,
>    and it is nothing of the sort.

No one has said it solves all the problems.  It solves *one specific* problem;
the problem that you don't get *ANY* warning, or *ANY* chance to do anything,
if you actually run out of available memory.  Even if it's a transient failure
that will go away in five minutes.  Even if all you need to do is an fwrite
and an fclose.

-s