Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:03:10 -0000
From:      "Jeff Bond" <jeff@pixelfusion.co.uk>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gnome and 3.3-RELEASE

Hi all,

I've recently taken delivery of the cheapbytes 3.3-RELEASE CDs, and I
installed it last night, hoping to get Gnome working.

FreeBSD installed fine (as usual), and I was pleasantly surprised to find an
X-Desktop menu in the sysinstall program. I duly selected Gnome, and
everything installed and seemed fine.

My problem:

When I start X, Gnome and Enlightenment do appear to start, but it's in a
right crappy old state. I have funny enlightenment pager windows and icons,
the gnome file manager fails to start (I can start it manually), I have no
workspace buttons on the panel etc. Basically, it's just not configured.

In comparison, Redhat 6 gives a clean, usable Gnome desktop straight out of
the box. Why doesn't FreeBSD do this?

For reference my .xinitrc just contains:
gnome-session

I start X by doing 'startx -- -bpp 16'

and I set my WINDOW_MANAGER env variable to 'enlightenment'.

Any help appreciated - please reply to me directly, because I am not
subscribed to the list.

Regards,

Jeff