Date:      Thu, 10 May 2012 09:57:52 +0200
From:      Alfred Bartsch <bartsch@dssgmbh.de>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8 i386 gptboot corrupt - SOLVED

Am 10.05.2012 09:19, schrieb Andriy Gapon:
> on 10/05/2012 10:12 Alfred Bartsch said the following:
>> I got this stupid idea of a "16k limit" during testing. It was
>> unobvious to me that the build process in a standard environment
>> (i386) simply produces invalid code. In i386 (32-bit) hardware,
>> we don't use zfs at all, so I can't tell anything about
>> gptzfsboot. For now, modifying /sys/boot/i386/gptboot/Makefile
>> completely solves this actual build problem.
>>
>> IMHO the compiler should always know perfectly well in which
>> hardware environment it runs and for which target environment it
>> produces code. So the build environment should be modified to fix
>> this. I would certainly give it a try, but unfortunately this is
>> far beyond my knowledge. :-(
>
> That's an interesting theory. What kind of hardware do you have?
> Is it something non-mainstream or sufficiently old? As far as I can
> tell, our base GCC uses i686 target arch if none is explicitly
> requested.

Our i386 hardware is sufficiently old, and IMHO mainstream, e.g.:
Intel SR1325 with Pentium-4 CPU, 2GB RAM
Intel SR2200 with Pentium-III CPU(s), 2/4 GB RAM,
Intel SR2300 with dual XEON, 4 GB RAM

Even on my desktop (Intel MB DQ965CO, Intel Core2 CPU), this (wrong)
behavior can be reproduced. dmesg output:

FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #0: Tue May  8 16:15:10 CEST 2012
    root@pcadmin.incore:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PCADMIN i386
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz (2141.96-MHz
686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6f6  Family = 6  Model = f  Stepping = 6

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0xe3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
  AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant

If you do need more information, let me know.

- --
Alfred Bartsch
Data-Service GmbH
mailto:bartsch@dssgmbh.de