Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 11:05:44 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PortsNG (was Re: Ports Options Paper)

At 4:16 PM +0200 9/9/00, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
>On Sat 2000-09-09 (00:37), Steve Price wrote:
>...  I'm pondering setting up a Wiki-like system
>to describe what we all want, and how we each thinks
>it can be achieved, and what background materials we
>make these assumptions from - OpenBSD ports, NetBSD
>pkgsrc, Debian's dpkg/apt system, &c.

I have recently started using TWiki (a Perl-based wiki,
found at http://TWiki.SourceForge.net).  It seems to be
quite functional and its developer has been very helpful.

It might be nice to have an IbisWiki (IBIS under wiki)
for this sort of problem definition activity, but that's
just a research possibility at this point (discussed at
(http://TWiki.SourceForge.net/cgi-bin/view/Codev/IbisWiki).

My own use of TWiki, in any case, has to do with the Meta
Project, an exploration into "integrating system metadata
and documentation".  Meta is a much larger (and thus, more
fanciful) project than the Ports modifications that have
been discussed on this list.  It is closely related to the
general package management question, however, so some of
you might find it interesting.  Feel free to take a look
(http://www.cfcl.com/twiki/bin/view/Meta), comment, etc.

-r

P.S.  The BSDcon folks have been nice enough to give me an
       hour to talk about Meta.  It should be on Day 2, in
       the General Track, from 10-11.
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.cfcl.com/rdm
Prime Time Freeware: info@ptf.com, +1 408-433-9662, http://www.ptf.com