Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:13:49 -0500
From:      "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@columbus.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        "dirard m. mikdad" <d.mikdad@flash.a2000.nl>
Subject:   Re: SMP support in FreeBSD 3.3 (Release)October 1999

"dirard m. mikdad" wrote:

> I am running Red Hat Linux 6.1 on an Asus P2BDS motherboard with onboard
> an adaptec 7890 u2w scsi controller chipset.
> My question is: Does FreeBSD 3.3 (october 1999 release) support this
> board? And I install FreeBSD, does it detect both processors by default
> or should I compile a customized kernel with smp support enabled?

Works very nicely here.  But, be sure to upgrade you BIOS to 1011.  Some
earlier BIOSes (BIOSi?) had problems with the statclock.

You must compile a customized kernel.  This what mine includes for SMP:

# Mandatory:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional, these are the defaults plus 1:
options         NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
options         NBUS=3                  # number of busses
options         NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
options         NINTR=24                # number of INTs

-- Danny J. Zerkel
dzerkel@columbus.rr.com