Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 18:20:38 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Free At Last: A Scanner Storyn

Briefly, the software for Win95 which came with my scsi scanner, UMAX-S2,
sucks.

By accident I stumble upon "sane" a scsi scanner package:
 http://www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/sane/

After a couple of days of hacking I managed to get it going on FreeBSD.

If anyone is interested in *helping* out flushing the remaining bugs ,
please drop me me a note. The most critical problems are proper
formatting / handling of scsi commands. I patched up sane so it can
run with my UMAX S-12.

Overall, is a thumbs up for "sane"  specially compared to UMAX's
software package.

	Cheers,
	Amancio