Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:23:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 4100 boot/install problem

> > Please, try using 'more' in the loader to read a large (>8k) text
> > document from somewhere; one of the loader's 4th files would do it.  Make
> > sure it looks right.
>
> OK, I tried:
>
> 'more' on src/checksum.md5
>
> I don't see any anomalies in the display of more.

Ok.  Next step, put some diagnostics in
sys/boot/common/load_elf.c:elf_loadfile(), every place that it returns
nonzero, print out a unique message.  If you can, have a look at the
reason it's returning nonzero and print out the significant items there.

This should help narrow things down a bit further.