Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:07:29 +0100
From:      Felix 'buebo' Kakrow <buebo@buebo.de>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   State of gvinum RAID-5

--Sig_HIjdFFjXwvYYxmHWXSvD_6v

Hello List,
I tried gvinum RAID-5 with a 5-Stable around the time when 5.1 or 5.2
was released (afair) and back then it basically sucked big time. Raid
worked as long as nothing failed, but reconstructing a drive was
somewhere between very painful and not possible.

Now I will have to upgrade hardware soon, which means I could switch
from NetBSD (and Raidframe) to FreeBSD (with gvinum) again. I would
like to because NetBSD seems to have some kind of memory leak in
connection with Samba and large or many files, but I'd rather have a
somewhat unstable Samba than an unstable Raid, so what's the state of
affairs?

Cheers
Felix

P.S.: I've tried google but have not come up with anything useful
short of reading the actual code, which is way over my level.
--=20
"A discordian shall always use the official discordian document=20
numbering system."
	-- The Second Discordian Commandment