Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:58:19 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        ajay gopalakrishnan <geek.dwells@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Have people started working on any Google Summer of code 2007project?

Quoting Julian Stacey <jhs@berklix.org> (from Tue, 27 Mar 2007 =20
18:16:27 +0200):

> Reference:
>> From:=09=09"ajay gopalakrishnan" <geek.dwells@gmail.com>
>
>> Is FreeBSD restricting  non-students from not  taking up any project that=
 is
>> 'suitable for summer of code'?

No. This markup was only done to allow students which want to =20
participate in the SoC to see which ideas are _not_ suitable as a SoC =20
project. When the rating of the submissions is done and projects are =20
taken by students, we will update the ideas page accordingly.

>> For eg.
>> I was planning to take up the 'super tunnel daemon' project some time bac=
k.
>> I had done some initial work but now i find that it has also been marked =
as
>> 'Suitable for summer of code'. I am no longer a student. I am working
>> currently at a firm. So i dont think that i will be eligible for the summ=
er
>> of code. Can i still take up the project or am i forced to take up those
>> that are not marked as 'suitable for summer of code'?
>> Also, if someone has taken a summer of code project can no-one else take =
it
>> up as a normal project to contribute to FreeBSD ?

As long as there's no interdependency created between you and the =20
student, I see no technical reason to not collaborate. I suggest to =20
talk with the technical contact of the project about it.

FYI: There is at least one submission out of ~90 for the super tunnel =20
daemon. IIRC maybe 2. There's no decission made if this project will =20
be selected or not. I try to remember to attach a note to the =20
corresponding applications in the rating interface that you are =20
interested in this project and that a mentor should get in contact =20
with you in case it is selected for the SoC. Feel free to ask me about =20
it at the weekend to make sure I did not forget to add the note.

> No can stop anyone working; Be a shame though if 2 people work &
> one's effort was not used.   I suppose as SoC deadline was yesterday
> it'll take a while for google to publish their sponsoring list.

It's the deadline for submissions from students. Now we (mentors) have =20
to rate the proposals. There may even be students which get selected =20
somewhere else in the SoC and prefer to work for another organisation =20
instead for us. So we don't know at this point which projects will be =20
taken by students.

At =20
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=3D60325&topic=3D10729 =
=20
you can see the timeline. The official announcement of accepted =20
students (and the corresponding proposals) is scheduled for April 11.

> If 2 people develope same thing: whose code will be commited will
> I suppose be decided on which arrives first &/or seems best code,
> hopefully independent of status of author eg student V. independent.

I'm sure any judgment will be made based upon quality.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
It is not good for a man to be without knowledge,
and he who makes haste with his feet misses his way.
=09=09-- Proverbs 19:2

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137