Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:34:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        haldar@ISI.EDU (Padmaparna Haldar)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help on FreeBSD soundcards for mbone

> Hi,
>    I'm looking for some info on soundcards (full-duplex) that may be used
> for freeBSD. Do you have the name/names of manufacturers that use Crystal
> CS4236/4237,OPTI931 or SB16 Vibra16 chipsets? We have been using Gravis
> soundcards but recently they have stopped manufacturing.

Vibra16 obviously used in CreativeLabs cards. Beware though: the
latest Vibra16X are not compatible with the FreeBSD drivers which work
with the old Vibra16C -- at least for full duplex.
I think there are some Vibra16X clones made by Avance Asound (see
www.realtek.com.tw).

AOpen manufactures nice cards based on the CS4237 -- look for the AW35
product (I think the AW32, based on the CS4236, is discontinued).

The OPTI931 is used on many no-name cards -- mine are marked
ExpertColor but I guess that's the name used for Europe...

More info at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html

    Cheers
    Luigi