Date:      Sun, 01 Sep 2002 17:02:02 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, developers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GCC 3.2 in progress

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > > Yes, as best as I can.
> > >
> > > But I didn't see a GCC 3.2 import on anyone's bullet list.
> >
> > To quote Robert Watson:
> >
> > > My list basically consists of:
> > > General
> > >   - GEOM as default storage management on all platforms, related
> > >     dependencies
> > >   - Switch in sysinstall to easily turn on ufs2
> > >   - Final resolution of any perl removal related problems
> > >   - rcNG as the default boot mechanism
> > >   - New gcc?
>
> Small bullet item.

Alexander is new at working within our operation so we should give him some
room to get fully up to speed.  I'm glad that somebody other than me is
dealing with this. :-)

We really did need this to be done before 5.0-R as the gcc prerelease was a
bit of a showstopper when it cannot compile a whole bunch of 'must have'
packages.  (eg: KDE etc)

Lets say that developer awareness of the pending import should have been
dealt with better and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Cheers,
-Peter