Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:45:20 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        Exim Users <exim-users@exim.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Exim + Virtual POP accounts

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

Hello list-ers,

I am looking at setting up virtual mailboxes but I must first seek advise because
I've never had a go at it. If this is a FAQ somewhere I'll just be as glad to head
there. This is going to be my first attempt at this, on a FreeBSD platform.

At the moment I handle virtual domains in two ways:

Scene 1:

*@domain1.com:		mailboxX

Those e-mails are picked using a server like MDaemon, which then sorts out the e-mails
using the local accounts created on it. I have no problem with this one so far.

Scene 2:

wash@wash.com:		wash
marc@wash.com:		marc

those two are delivered to /var/mail/$local_part where in this case the local part is
a valid account on my main server - mail.wananchi.com. This is what I may have to change.
Please read on.

Now what I'd like to do is this:

If I host a virtual domain called virtual.dom, I want mail for that domain to be
delivered to /var/virtdomains/$domain/$local_part so that mail for marc@virtual.com
is stored in /var/mail/virtual.dom/marc. Marc should then be able to login as
marc@virtual.dom in order to pick his e-mails. This whole scenario should still leave
me with the freedom to have marc@wananchi.com whose mail is in /var/mail/marc and
who logs in simply as marc. At a higher level, I also need to handle aliases for these
virtual domains, separate from my main aliases file.

I hope that I am making my point clearly and not blubbing, no? Sometimes language
barrier makes us fall short of putting the main issue clearly ;)
Is that scenario possible? Are there MUAs (even web based) that are capable of being
used in that kind of setup? vm-pop3d seems to be one of the POP3 daemons that can do
this but I've never tested it.

Again, how do I authenticate these virtual users? Since my adduser.pl script in FreeBSD
creates homes in /home/username and mailbox in /var/mail/username.....
I'm confused about all this but I am sure people have done it. This is my plea for
their help.

I sincerely trust that someone can advise me on this - the steps they took, even a
mini-howto from personal notes. One major question is how to get separate passwd files
for the virtual-domain users and the main system users.How do you add your users?
I'm looking at this from the FreeBSD perspective.

Thanking you in advance.

-Wash

--
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--