Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:25:11 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044635111.e7b688@mired.org>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why should I use `config;make depend; make...` instead of `make kernel` when building from a stock source tree? (ref. Handbook sec. 9.3)

In <3E3C77F0.6050805@pantherdragon.org>, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org> typed:
> There are two sets of commands you can use to build a kernel in FreeBSD:
>
> "Procedure 1" is the old way: config, make depend, make, make install.
> "Procedure 2" is the make kernel sequence from makeworld.
>
> Section 9.3 of the Handbook says I should use procedure 1 if I haven't
> updated my source tree.  I can understand then need to use procedure 2
> if I've updated my source tree, but why shouldn't I use it with an
> unmodified tree?

There's no reason not to use the kernel targets, as already
discussed. The kernel targets does one thing different than the old
way - it uses tools from /usr/obj if they are there, otherwise it uses
the /usr tools.

The reason for using the old one is that you may be able to skip some
of the steps. In particular, if you're tweaking the sources, you can
just do make and make install - no need to go through the
config/depend steps.

	<mike