Date:      Fri, 2 Sep 2005 19:30:11 GMT
From:      Ben Thomas <bthomas@virtualiron.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/85656: [Fwd: [patch] expose more i386 specific CPU information]

The following reply was made to PR i386/85656; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Thomas <bthomas@virtualiron.com>
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:22:39 -0400

 I completely agree.  It was a quick hack that we use locally and
 could easily be improved.   I considered changing this before
 I submitted the pr, but since it's taken me over a year to get
 around to submitting it at all, I decided to submit the current
 code that I use and not the better version.

 Thanks,
 -b

 Björn König wrote:
 > Ben Thomas wrote:
 >
 >> - add sysctls to expose a number of i386 information:
 >>       hw.cpu_type
 >>       hw.cpu_feature
 >>       hw.cpu_efeature
 >>       hw.cpu_high
 >>       hw.cpu_id
 >>       hw.cpu_procinfo
 >>       hw.cpu_brand
 >>
 >> [...]
 >

 > It might be better to use
 >
 >       hw.cpu.type
 >       hw.cpu.feature
 >       hw.cpu.efeature
 >       [...]
 >
 > instead. This allows you to see all CPU information by calling 'sysctl
 > hw.cpu'. A lot of oids in the format parent.foo_bar has been converted
 > to parent.foo.bar in past.
 >
 > Regards Björn

 Ben Thomas                                         Virtual Iron Software
 bthomas@virtualiron.com                            43 Nagog Park
 978-849-1214                                       Acton, MA 01720