Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:17:47 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsiformat reporting different speed to disklabel

Hi,
thanks for the info. I have managed to work it all out, and can now disklabel a
disk using only the disktab entry and the command "disklabel -r -w /dev/rsd1c
C2490A sd1s1", C2490A being the appropriate disktab. The one thing I can't get
rid of however, is the warning from the kernel,

       /kernel: sd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic

Remember, this is a second hard disk drive, dedicated to freeBSD. The
Primary/root hdd is also a fully dedicated Freebsd system.

I tried doing a disklabel -B sd1, but of course that created a boot block, and
FreeBSD then tried to boot of both disks.... a near disaster....

So, as soon as I figure out how to get reid of that message, I'll have the
complete details of how to build a second (or more ) hadrd disk and can write
it up.

I'm trying to get this done without using fdisk.... but it seems fbsd doesn't
work that way. I don't know.

Thanks for your help,

cheers
Robert

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Robert Chalmers wrote:
>
> > using scsiformat -p d sd1 reports a
> > Medium rotation Rate of 6400.
>
> This is supposed to be the correct number.
>
> > Is this the rpm: that is reported by disklabel?
>
> disklabel only and always defaults to 3600, nothing else, unless
> you've actually created the label using an entry in /etc/disktab,
> or at least edited the value with disklabel -e.
>
> This value in the disklabel historically has been used for
> layout-based access optimizations, but this is no longer really
> applicable for modern disks, so the value's meaningless these days.
>
> > Also: on the same thing, reported information, the number of actual
> > sectors calculated is different to the total sectors reported?
>
> The SCSI mode page reports the total amount of blocks.  Depending on
> the actual strategy, you aren't able to use all of them (e.g.  due to
> prehistoric assumptions of fdisk slices being aligned to something
> like a cylinder boundary).  The difference in your case is weirdly
> large, however.
>
> --
> bye, J"org
>
> ...just travelling around.  Don't try reaching me except by mail. :)

  Support Whirled Peas.       Business in China?    China House
  robert@chalmers.com.au      ph:61 7 49440357 fx:61 7 49578425
   China House Uses Webposition to ensure Top Spot in Searches
   http://www.chalmers.com.au/ChinaHouse/Business/webposition