Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2011 09:22:38 -0700
From:      Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wireless access point in FreeBSD 8.2p2

On Aug 28, 2011, at 7:04 AM, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:

> It is especially useful when you cannot ping, as it can tell you if =
the
> packets are even arriving.

The "no route to host" result makes me think the packets aren't going =
far ;-) The new device and the wired interface are at adjacent numeric =
addresses and all the devices here are in the same subnet behind the =
WRT54G and that is behind the cable co's black box.=20

I think I may be more confused now than when I started.=20

One thing that has seemed opaque to me is that both ath0 and wlan0 =
display when I run ifconfig and look very similar: makes me think they =
might be stepping on each other. Or it's just one more thing I don't =
understand :-(=20

ath0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu =
2290
	ether 00:0d:88:93:21:3a
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g =
<hostap>
	status: running

wlan0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu =
1500
	ether 00:0d:88:93:21:3a
	inet 192.168.0.26 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
	inet6 fe80::20d:88ff:fe93:213a%wlan0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8=20
	nd6 options=3D3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g =
<hostap>
	status: running
	ssid lower channel 8 (2447 MHz 11g) bssid 00:0d:88:93:21:3a
	regdomain FCC indoor ecm authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 27
	scanvalid 60 protmode CTS wme burst dtimperiod 1 -dfs

I know (or think I do) that ath0 is the real interface and wlan0 is a =
virtualized or cloned or something handle to it. But the similarities =
(both are running, both show the same info for media) trouble me. The =
only thing that makes me think I'm doing anything here is that wlan0 is =
actually assigned to channel 8.=20

I can sort of see that getting it working as a client would be =
instructive and I think I did that some time ago (perhaps in 7.x) but =
since you reuse almost nothing but the hardware, I don't see a lot of =
value in that, other than verifying that the hardware works and that you =
can follow the instructions. The latter can be a challenge, I'll admit.=20=

So to recap: the idea of this was to provide a redundant spare for the =
WRT54G, behind a cable modem, in a private network, with the only =
security being at the AP
	=95 No ipfw or any of that, as it wouldn't be visible on the =
public internet.
	=95 I'll add WPA/2 once it works (that seems trivial, as I have =
been able to authenticate to the AP even though it didn't pass any =
packets beyond that).=20
	=95 It would deal with static addresses (I could add dhcp later, =
once this was working, as phones and other devices are more easily dealt =
with that way). So it looks like a bridge, if it joins an Ethernet =
network and an 802.11-based one. Curiously, none of the instructions I =
have seen mention bridging, even though the explicitly connect Ethernet =
and wireless. And all the HOWTOs look simple, the work of a few minutes =
of copy and paste.=20

I think I may just shelve this and if needed, turn up my Time Capsule's =
wireless capability (if it would play nicely and extend the WRT54G, I'd =
be using it now). And APs that support open source firmware are not that =
hard to find, though Tomato doesn't support as many as the *-wrt =
variants.=20

*grumble*

--
Paul Beard

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?=20