Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 23:17:19 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Vincent Poy wrote:

> > Note also that FreeBSD can easily saturate 100 Mbps Ethernet.
>
>         It meets the spec when shipped but the bends, curves, temperature
> and other factors do affect the performance.  I guess a good way to test
> the cable is with FreeBSD since it's the only real OS I've seen that can
> do like real world speeds.  The only thing is that has anyone really saw
> 12 Megabytes/sec Full Duplex under FreeBSD?

There again, any network installer worth their salt will test the cable when
in-situ, after the 'dust' has settled...

Fastest I've seen on my setup (doing anything useful) is around 9Mb/sec going
from my WinNT box (with Intel Pro 100B) to my FreeBSD -current box (also with
Pro 100B).

So far, transfers from FreeBSD to WinNT are _always_ slower than transfers
from WinNT to FreeBSD - which considering the hardware and write-overhead etc.
- you would have though the opposite should be true... I guess NT ain't a
great operating system after all... <no kidding? :)>

-Karl