Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:12:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@mail.iaces.com>
To:        patseal@hyperhost.net (Patrick Seal)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting program on specific virtual console

In a previous message, Patrick Seal said:
> jeez man, I knew that! what was I thinking.  On a similar note, is there a
> way to do the same from a script after boot?  Like a script that works
> like `man` but runs man on another tty? That way you can read a man page
> while using the program without loging in twice.

Hmm, seems I used to do something like this. It probably needs a perl
script or a simple C program to take control of the tty.

Basically,
	1) have the getty turned off on a port, say ttyv2.
	2) Open the tty for read and write via perl
	3) attach that to an exec that runs your man, as standard in
	   and out.

Doing a "man bash >/dev/ttyv2" isn't suffient because you still
have to be on the tty you typed this on to handle stdin.

--
"But don't push it. If you're working late some evening and you're getting
 tired and starting to make mistakes, don't push it. Go home. You can