Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:50:44 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using a laptop as a main machine

First, a belated thanks for all the responses.  Looks like
there is a remarkable agreement on the required features!

- a long warranty
- reliabile
- large & hi-res display
- long battery life
- full size keyboard
- cradle/docking station when at your desk
- wifi
- working suspend/resume

richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net> writes:
> There are advantages to desktops, as well as to laptops.

True.  But for me the balance has tilted in the laptops'
favor.  In a home, a laptop with an external display/keyboard
is far more flexible and easier to manage.  Even if you leave
it on all the time, my guess is it saves between 100 to 200
W/hr. or about 0.876 to 1.752 Megawatt-hours a year (about
$140 and $280 a year for me).  Now multiply that 3 to 5
times!

Even for a home file/backup/print server I wonder if a
desktop is all that good.  Its internal disks get too hot,
its fans fail, you need a UPS, hard to replace parts etc.
Commercially available file servers are not there yet: too
slow, too expensive, power hungry.  A fast laptop is usually
good enough.