Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:35:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Calvin <cxu@ivmg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, posonsky@braz.ru
Subject:   Re: How to run OCI FreeBSD Program to access Oracle database?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Calvin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are running Oracle database 8.1.6.2.1 in Sun Solaris and C programs at
> FreeBSD platform need to access the database thru OCI. We knew from Oracle
> Support that we have to install Oracle client software with libs in the
> client side in order to have C programs connect to the database using OCI.
> However, Oracle doesn't support FreeBSD platform. Is there anyone running
> OCI freebsd program to access db, or anyone setup the Oracle client software
> 8.1.6 in FreeBSD 4.02-Stable?

  There are a few options and none of them is very appealing:

- Use the Linux OCI driver and compile all your applications are Linux
binaries and run them on FreeBSD under emulation.

- Use the request broker from Openlink Software
(http://www.opelinksw.com).  It should be free for up to two connections.
Basically, your FreeBSD application must be able to support ODBC.
Openlink providers a ODBC driver for FreeBSD and a request broker that can
be run on your database server (or anywhere else that a native Oracle
interface is available).  The Openlink ODBC driver will connect to the
request broker, and the broker to Oracle.  This will not work if your app
does not use an ODBC interface and requires the propietary Oracle OCI
API.

- Re-write your app in Java.  Type 4 JDBC drivers are truly OS
independant and work on any system with a JVM.

> Thanks,
> Calvin

Tom