Date:      14 Nov 1999 22:14:42 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Colour coding

In article <382F18D1.49FE3C48@gorean.org>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:

> > Hideous.
>
> 	This kind of commentary really isn't helpful.

<Pouting> And I even refrained from voicing my thoughts more
explicitly due to this being a public forum.

> However denegrating other people's choices doesn't help anything,
> and contributes to the perception that new users who post to
> -questions will be harped on.

Look, I answered the question instead of flaming the original poster
for not checking the archives where the very same question has been
answered a zillion times. There's hardly a way to be more nice.

> I like being able to see at a glance what everything is.

Sure.

naddy@bigeye[~] fgrep -w ls .bashrc
alias ll='/bin/ls -l'
alias ls='/bin/ls -F'

> I keep intending to try colorls, just haven't gotten around to it.

colorls is a(n old) version of FreeBSD ls with a small patch to
add color output if the -G switch is present. Apparently I'm not
alone in my opinion on its aesthetics, otherwise it would have been
merged into FreeBSD proper a long time ago.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de