Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 11:39:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tun0 problem in 3.0-970209-SNAP

[snipped current out of cc: list as what I'm asking now isn't current
specific.]

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Anyway, it's fairly simple:
> >
> > here's a snip from ifconfig
> > tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1524
> >         inet 194.222.196.174 --> 158.152.1.222 netmask 0xffffff00
>
> Don't do that.  ppp should be managing the tun0 device *exclusively*
> and you shouldn't be ifconfig'ing it at all.
>
> > So, I type ifconfig tun0 down, and I can _STILL_ ping the other end of
> > the line ? really that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
>
> Because you're not supposed to be frobbing tun0 at all, that's why. :)
> Control its state entirely through ppp, please.

Okay, from here I have a problem:
I have a modem connected to this machine and it runs the following
ppp -alias -auto myprovider

This all works fine and the modem starts up whenever the network is
needed as expected and it aliases properly so I have a gateway for other
boxes needing net access.

Unfortunately just mailing anyone locally sets off a dialup though.

I'm assuming I have to either:
a) hack at sendmail.cf for a few more weeks.
or
b) set a dialfilter so that only packets originating from other machines
can set the modem dialling.

I was looking at the second option, as it appears to be a lot easier.
although, using the set dfilter options for ppp doesn't actually seem to
work.

I don't see any reason why the following shouldn't do what I'm asking.

set dfilter 0 deny this.box's.address
set dfilter 1 deny 10.0.1.1 (this box's address as well)
set dfilter 2 deny 127.0.0.1
set dfilter 3 permit 0/0 0/0 (anything else ?)

Any answers? or should I give up on the dfilter approach and take my
hammer to sendmail to make it not need the net to deliver local mail.
(What's really odd about that is that the mail gets delivered before the
line even starts up properly!)

--
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.