Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 11:24:51 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>, djv@bedford.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: renaming of usernames and homedirectories

On Wed, 13 May 1998 at 21:10:29 -0400, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>> Heinrich Langos wrote:
>> Never edit /etc/passwd or master.passwd or [linux] shadow directly.
>
> I have never used any of this tool, vipw.  I always just edit
> /etc/master.passwd and do a pwd_mkdb.  This eams to work just fine.  Also,
> the only real reason I might use chfn is if I don't have root access.  Is
> there a reason why I shouldn't edit /etc/master.passwd?

Not really, except that you could end up with master.passwd in an
invalid state if you change it and your pwd_mkdb doesn't work, and
it's somewhat more typing.  Basically, this is just what vipw does, so
there's no good reason not to use it.  I'm usually a pretty
dyed-in-the-wool user of basic utilities, but I use vipw.

Greg