Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Clark Family <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OSS, Sun, GPL, random ramblings

Rant:

My biggest complaint with current crop of OS, is that they know nothing of
their own limits. A system should know why it crashed.

The OS should keep track of which applications are buggy, not me. If an
errant program doesn't return all its memory, give it an F.

That and there is no separation of church and state.

Who wants a car that you drive from the engine bay? Half the time I feel
like I'm hanging onto the steering box with a pair of vise grips, and
viewing the road between my feet. Look out for that exhaust manifold.

And how about some absolute revision control. If I install A and then B,
and later C, why can't I remove A without breaking anything.

Whatever happened to the *true* dynamic linked library?

Answers:

VMS sounds like it was allowed to mature. One thing that no OS has today,
is time to mature. Features are added so fast, that quality has a hard
time catching up.

Home:
FreeBSD for anything important, and to learn on.
W2k for dual processor support, and to stay marketable.
BeOS for dual processor support, and because I miss the Amiga.
W98 for my wife and son. (They don't need much.)

Work:
AIX because it works.
Solaris because it will take a long time to get rid of it all.
W98 because Notes and Office run on it.

[RC]