Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Andrew N. Edmond (Nero)" <prez@flyingcroc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        systems@flyingcroc.com
Subject:   Load balancing DNS boxes...

Thanks for reading along.... :)

We have a large FreeBSD server farm... around 160 boxes, pushing about 400
megabits/second.  We also have ONE dns server pushing TWO megabits of DNS
requests per second :)

The way DNS works for windows boxes (our primary clients connecting to our
network) is that when InterNic reports to the users DNS server the IP
address they are resolving, most times they only try connecting to
NS1.FLYINGCROC.COM.  If this server is down, the time is takes to go look
at NS2.FLYINGCROC.COM can take sometimes up to 30 seconds.

Hence, the InterNic method of primary and secondary name service is not
acceptable for our network.  We need to load balance and set redundancy
locally.

So, if we wanted three servers with identical bind-8 configurations
running and setting up these servers in round robin or some other load
balancing mechanism, what is the best method?

We use bind itself to delegate requests in round robin to webservers
themselves, but this solution doesn't work for the DNS server when the IP
is hardcoded into the InterNic record itself!

Suggestions on setting up three DNS servers in a load balancing system
with a network appliance would be appreciated!  We've looked at Local
Director and it doesn't look like this solution is quite practical.
Anyone else have any success?

.. andy