Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 12:51:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <brightmn@a-v25.rh.sunyit.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   File systems slowness?

  I really like freebsd, however when i did a "rm -rf *" in the /usr/ports
directory it took over 5 minutes to clear the directory.

My system is a 586/133 with 64megs of ram, the motherboard supports mode 4
PIO and mode 2 DMA, i know there are a lot of files in that directory, but
isn't that a little excessive?  I assume the disk was going crazy going
back and forth from inode space to data space on the disk... but with 64
megs of ram i thought it would try some caching perhaps?

doesn't freebsd have write-behind caching? or does it need to be enabled
seperately?

Alfred Perlstein
perlsta@sunyit.edu