Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:51:53 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Olivier_Cochard-Labb=C3=A9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
Cc:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Patch for adding "options PF_DEFAULT_TO_DROP" to kernel configuration file

On 13 Sep 2012, at 23:26, Olivier Cochard-Labb=C3=A9 <olivier@cochard.me> wr=
ote:

> Hi,
> here is a little patch (tested on FreeBSD 9.1-RC1) that add a new
> option to the kernel configuration file:
> options PF_DEFAULT_TO_DROP
>=20
> Without this option, with an empty pf.conf: All traffic are permit.
> With this option enabled, with an empty pf.conf: All traffic are
> dropped by default.
>=20
> If the attached file is removed, you can found the patch here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D171622
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> Olivier
> <freebsd.pf_drop.patch>

Is there any point to this ?

I mean, PF has to be enabled manually anyway, so it's not like it adds any k=
ind of default security.
Worse, it could lock careless people out.

People able to use this (read: who can rebuild a kernel) likely are intellig=
ent enough to cobble up a default block rule for their pf.conf.=