Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:56:43 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
To:        John Mills <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on order and targets of kernel and world builds

--============_-1185244291==_ma============

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

>I have been doing 'CVSUP' followed by:
>
># make buildworld
># make installworld
># make buildkernel
># make installkernel
>
>without really knowing if this was a useful order or exactly what I was
>accomplishing with each target. My question is:
>
>  1) Can I 'make buildworld' to create my tools and supporting files, then
>  2) Use the newly made "world" to 'make buildkernel', and then
>  3) 'make installworld; make installkernel' to install these new filesets
>     for general use?
>
>I would like to know if this is an acceptable and conservative way to do a
>rebuild, and to better understand what I get at each step.

Here are the steps I follow. Note that I previously built a custom kernel
and I am using that below. Replace "CUSTOM" with whatever you named
your kernel.

Please *read the handbook* as things can get confusing. Not something you
want to fubar at 2 am. Mergemaster especially can be tricky until you
figure out
what's going on. Good luck.

1.
# cd /usr/obj
# chflags -R noschg *
# rm -rf *

2. #make buildworld

3. #make buildkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM

4. #make installkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM

5. boot into single user mode

6. #make installworld

7. # cp -Rp /etc /etc.old

8. # mergemaster -cv

9. reboot
Jim Arnold -  Ohio.com - jarnold@knightridder.com
Cell: 330.730.0797	Voice: 330.572.2822
AOL IM: instantjim    /    Yahoo: jim0266

--============_-1185244291==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: Question on order and targets of kernel and
on the 'world' and 'kernel'<br>
building process. Please point me at the right section of the Handbook
or<br>
Greg's book if there is a succinct description.</blockquote>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-ed<span
by:<br>
# make buildworld<br>
# make installworld<br>
# make buildkernel<br>
# make installkernel<br>
without really knowing if this was a useful order or exactly what I
was<br>
accomplishing with each target. My question is:<br>
&nbsp;1) Can I 'make buildworld' to create my tools and supporting
files, then<br>
&nbsp;2) Use the newly made &quot;world&quot; to 'make buildkernel',
and then<br>
&nbsp;3) 'make installworld; make installkernel' to install these new
filesets<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; for general use?<br>
I would like to know if this is an acceptable and conservative way to
do a</blockquote>
get at each step.</blockquote>
custom kernel</div>
whatever you named your kernel.</div>
something you</div>
you figure out</div>
# cd /usr/obj<br>
# chflags -R noschg *</div>
6. #make installworld</div>
-cv</font></div>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>
Jim Arnold -&nbsp; Ohio.com - jarnold@knightridder.com<br>
Cell: 330.730.0797<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab>Voice:
330.572.2822<br>
AOL IM: instantjim&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yahoo:
jim0266&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>