Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 12:21:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape drive FAQ

J Wunsch wrote:

> The patches should be integrated.  Make the hint ``temporary'', so
> people know that it's being worked on.

	will do just tell me how do i do that?

	while on the subject i need to figure out how to do
	cross-references, any pointers out there.  this is sgml
	doc that i have written.....xref steven stills at woodstock

> > throughput, 370kB/sec with <tt>dump(8)</tt>.
>
> Apart from this, go for it!
>
> I've got a submission from someone i've been helping to get his
> Exabyte 2501 (mini-QIC SCSI) drive running, and would commit this
> later on, as well as giving as much information about QIC and HP-DAT
> as i can scratch out of my mind.

	great this is coming together.  we only need to get a few
	more devices and the tape section will be in much better
	shape.

	comments and criticisms please, ouch!

*** hw.sgml     Wed Jan 31 09:32:20 1996
--- /tmp/hw.sgml        Sun Apr  7 15:11:49 1996
***************
*** 308,312 ****
    <sect2><heading>* Floppy</heading>
  <sect1><heading>* Hard drives</heading>
! <sect1><heading>* Tape drives</heading>
  <sect1><heading>* CD-ROM drives</heading>
  <sect1><heading>* Other</heading>
--- 308,338 ----
    <sect2><heading>* Floppy</heading>
  <sect1><heading>* Hard drives</heading>
! <sect1><heading> Tape drives</heading>
!   <sect2><heading> SCSI</heading>
!
! (Exabyte), 4mm (DAT: Digital Audio Tape) and QIC (Quarter-Inch
! Cartridge) tape drives.  See the <tt>st(4)</tt> manual for a
! detailed description.
!
!     <sect3><heading>* 8mm (Exabyte)</heading>
!     <sect3><heading>* 4mm (DAT: Digital Audio Tape)</heading>
!     <sect3><heading> QIC (Quarter-Inch Cartridge)</heading>
!
!       <p>QIC tapes are available in a large
! range of storage capacities, ranging from 60 MB up to 13 GB.
! Each capacity tape cartridge is physically different from each of
! the others.  A QIC tape drive uses these differences to
! automatically sense which capacity tape cartridge is in the
! drive.  Use <tt>mt status</tt> to read the tape capacity.  In
! general, higher capacity tape drives can read tapes made by lower
! capacity drives.
!
!       &anaconda;
!
!     <sect3><heading>* DLT (Digital Linear Tape)</heading>
!     <sect3><heading>* Mini-Cartridge</heading>
!
!
  <sect1><heading>* CD-ROM drives</heading>
  <sect1><heading>* Other</heading>
***************
*** 316,319 ****
--- 342,347 ----
  <sect1><heading>* PCMCIA</heading>

anaconda.sgml:

<!-- $Id: anaconda.sgml,v $ -->
<!-- The FreeBSD Documentation Project -->

<!--
      <title>The Archive Anaconda 1.35GB SCSI QIC tape drive and
its use with FreeBSD</title>
      <author>(c) 1995, Jonathan M. Bresler, <tt/jmb@FreeBSD.ORG/
      <date>Sun Apr 7 11:55:00 EDT 1996</date>

    Copyright 1996, Jonathan M. Bresler, Northwood Link, Silver
Spring, Maryland 20901

      <abstract>
        This document describes the use of the Archive Anaconda
	SCSI QIC tape drive with the FreeBSD operating system.
	The drive will not work as shipped from the factory.
	Two minor kernel changes are required.  The drive
	delivers excellent performance: 370kB/sec using
	<tt>dump(8)</tt>

        If you find something missing, plain wrong or have useful
        comments on how to improve
        this document please send mail to <tt/jmb@FreeBSD.ORG/
      </abstract>
-->

with FreeBSD as shipped from the factory.  Two kernel one-line
kernel patches are required.  The drive delivers excellent
throughput, 370kB/sec with <tt>dump(8)</tt>.  These drives are no
longer in production and can be purchased quite cheaply: ~$190.

<sect2><heading>Physical Description</heading>
The medium gray plastic front panel has a green
activity LED, a tape eject button, and a hinged plastic door that
covers the tape slot.  The door is spring loaded, and closes the
tape slot when the tape is removed.  While a tape is in the drive
the door is held open by the tape.  When loaded, the tape is completely within
the body of the drive.  The drive loads a tape automatically,
it does not have a front panel slide lock.  The body of the drive
is made of cast metal.  The printed circuit board is mounted on
the top of the drive. (Customarily, the printed circuit board is
mounted the bottom.)  There are three pieces of
fiber glass printed circuit board material mounted on the printed
circuit board.  Each piece is ~6mm high, and provide a
minimum spacing above the electronics of the printed circuit
board.  The printed circuit board is silkscreened "Archive
copyright 1992" and "anaconda main pcb 81422- rev 001"  (the 001
is hand written.

<sect2><heading>Physical Connectors and jumpers</heading>
connector and seven jumpers.  The SCSI connector is mounted
upside down on the printed circuit board.  Pin 1 on the SCSI
connector is farthest from the power connector and the SCSI
connector keyway (cut-out) faces downward rather than upward.
If this drive is used on an internal SCSI chain, you must either
twist the SCSI cable or mount the other drives upside down.  The
drive has three single inline sockets for SCSI terminator
resistor packages.
<tscreen><verb>

	Jumper		Function (default)
	------		------------------
	1		SCSI id bit 0 (open)
	2		SCSI id bit 1 (open)
	3		SCSI id bit 2 (open)
	4		Reserved (open)
	5		Parity Enable (open, disabled)
	6		SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 (open, SCSI-1)
	7		Terminator Power Enable (open, disabled)

</verb></tscreen>

SCSI id.  Enable parity by shorting jumper 5.  If you are using a
SCSI-2 controller, short jumper 6.  If the tape drive is the
first or the last device in the SCSI chain, insert SCSI
termination resistor packs in the sockets and short jumper 7.

<sect2><heading>Specifications</heading>
<tscreen><verb>
	Archive Ananconda Model 2750S
	Formatted capacity:     1.35 Gigabyte with QIC-1350 tape
	Track format:           30 track serpentine
	Flux density:		38,750 ftpi
	Data density:		51,667 bpi
	Data transfer rate:	350 kBps
	Recording format:	RLL 1,7 encoding
				Reed-Solomon ECC
	SCSI burst data transfer rate:	1.88 MB/s
	Data buffer size:	56kB (each of two buffers)
	Tape speed:             90 ips
	Speed variations:       short term +/- 4%
				long term  +/- 7%
	Start/Stop time:        300 mSec (maximum)
	Head configuration:     two-track, read-after-write
				(one track in each direction)
				separate full-width erase
</verb></tscreen>

<sect2><heading>Kernel Configuration</heading>
control the tape drive.  Each SCSI tape drive requires its own
device entry in the kernel config file.
Your kernel must be configured with these devices in addition to
a SCSI controller (e.g. ncr0, aha0):

<tscreen><verb>
	controller	ncr0
	controller	scbus0
	device		st0
</verb></tscreen>

<sect2><heading>Kernel Patches</heading>
<tt>ncr.c</tt>.  (You may need to adjust the line numbers to
accomodate changes in the source file that have occurred since
these notes were written.)

<tscreen><verb>
/src/sys/pci/ncr.c
***************
*** 4441,4447 ****
        OUTB (nc_ctest4, 0x08   );      /*  enable master parity checking    */
        OUTB (nc_stest2, EXT    );      /*  Extended Sreq/Sack filtering     */
        OUTB (nc_stest3, TE     );      /*  TolerANT enable                  */
!       OUTB (nc_stime0, 0xfb   );      /*  HTH = 1.6sec  STO = 0.1 sec.     */

        /*
        **      Reinitialize usrsync.
--- 4441,4447 ----
        OUTB (nc_ctest4, 0x08   );      /*  enable master parity checking    */
        OUTB (nc_stest2, EXT    );      /*  Extended Sreq/Sack filtering     */
        OUTB (nc_stest3, TE     );      /*  TolerANT enable                  */
!       OUTB (nc_stime0, 0x0b   );      /*  HTH = disabled, STO = 0.1 sec.   */

        /*
        **      Reinitialize usrsync.
***************
*** 4832,4836 ****
                };

!               if (np->latetime>4) {
                        /*
                        **      Although we tried to wake it up,
--- 4832,4836 ----
                };

!               if (np->latetime>1200) {
                        /*
                        **      Although we tried to wake it up,

</verb></tscreen>

<sect2><heading>Boot Messages</heading>
attached devices.  Each device that is successfully probed and
configured by the kernel is identified by its logical device
number, SCSI controller, SCSI bus number,
SCSI target (id) number, and LUN (logical unit number).  I use
the NCR 53c810 SCSI controller.  The tape drive is target 4 on
the second SCSI bus.  It is the only SCSI tape drive, hence
<tt>st0</tt>.  The boot message depend on whether the drive is
jumpered for SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 operation.

<tscreen><verb>
(ncr1:4:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 1
st0(ncr1:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x12,  drive empty
</verb></tscreen>

<tscreen><verb>
(ncr1:4:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(ncr1:4:0): Sequential-Access
st0(ncr1:4:0): 200ns (5 Mb/sec) offset 8.
density code 0x0,  drive empty
</verb></tscreen>

<sect2><heading>Operation</heading>
inserted into the drive, two friction teeth grab the tape
cartridge metal backing plate, draw the tape approximately 25mm
into the drive, and then slide the tape foward and to the left.
This movement opens the protective gate that covers the magnetic
media and engages both the heads and the drive wheel.   The drive
will seek to the start of the data area on the tape.

block size of 10kB per dump record and 1,200,000 records per dump
records per volume. (e.g. <tt>/sbin/dump 0unBbf 1200000 10
/dev/rst0 /dev/sd1f</tt>.