Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:27:05 +0300
From:      Sergey Kandaurov <pluknet@gmail.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: something wrong with dmesg?

On 16 February 2012 12:58, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I just noticed that lately in 9.x and maybe 8-Stable, dmesg seems to return
> nothing if
> there is active logging going on. I saw someone else refer to this as well.
>
> Has this been reported?

Didn't we have this for years? I cannot recall there was a difference to the
current behavior since 8.x or 7.x (or even 6.x).
kern.msgbuf includes messages sent with syslog, and if they dominate
then you might get empty dmesg output. By default it skips non-kernel
(or rather those messages which doesn't use BSD syslog format)
messages, and you can include them using dmesg -a.

--
wbr,
pluknet