Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:28:08 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com
Subject:   Two Q's: "make depend" and repairing distfile?

I'm trying to make a port of "tcptrace", a tcpdump log file analyzer.
I'm having two problems:

1. The Makefile as distributed comes with dependencies for Solaris.
My first attempt removed the dependencies using patches/patch-aa, but
I decided that rebuilding the dependencies made more sense, so I did:

DEPEND_TARGET=	depend

pre-build:
	@(cd ${WRKSRC}; ${SETENV} ${MAKE_ENV} ${GMAKE} ${MAKE_FLAGS} ${MAKEFILE} ${DEPEND_TARGET})

Does it make sense to add DEPEND_TARGET to bsd.port.mk and make depend if
DEPEND_TARGET is defined?

2. The distribution is from a broken HTTP server, which uncompresses
the file before sending it even though it is a .tar.gz, resulting
in getting an uncompressed file with the name foo.tar.gz, which
bsd.port.mk doesn't like.  I wrote the following to recompress it,
but it's kind of hokey.  Anyone have better ideas?

# jarok.cs.ohiou.edu manages to uncompress the file before it transmits it,
# even though it returns a content-type of file/gzip.  Repair the damage.
#
# Using "if; then else" because of sh bug in 3.0-current .
post-fetch:
	@(cd ${_DISTDIR}; \
	  if file ${DISTFILES} | grep -s gzip; then \
	  else \
		echo "re-compressing ${DISTFILES}"; \
		mv ${DISTFILES} `basename ${DISTFILES} .gz`; \
		gzip `basename ${DISTFILES} .gz`; \
	  fi)

Thanks,
  Bill