Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:41:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ida problems, one disk broken = system very slow

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> A customer has a machine with four disks in RAID 10 using the ida(8)
> controller on FreeBSD-4.11.

ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/idacontrol.tar would solve a few of your
problems on 5.x or better but getting it to work on 4.x requires patching
and recompiling.

> Now one disk is broken. I have some questions:
>
> 1. How can I detect that a disk in a raid cluster is broken? It seems
> natural to me that the raid driver would log info about a broken disk,
> but I have not seen this happen with any raid controller driver.

Most array drivers have a userland utility that allows inspection of array
status.  The utility for ida(4) isn't in the base system yet.

> 2. The system is extremely slow and hardly usable right now. The
> customer are still waiting for a replacement disk. Is there any way to
> get the system to just ignore the broken disk instead of trying to use
> it and fail. I get thousands of "ida0: soft error" in messages log. If
> the system would realize that it had problems with the disk, and ignore
> them, perhaps it wouldn't become unsable,

Well, you could rate-limit the error messages, or comment out the message
entirely.

> 3. Will the array rebuild automatically once they insert the new disk?

Depends on the BIOS setting.

--
Lord, wheresoever this rifle goest, guide my hands upon it.
Let a shot never be fired in anger or error.