Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 14:26:53 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Terminal wars: cons25 vs. linux (don't forget vt100)

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 16:53:30 +0600, "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" wrote:

> I've posted a message some time ago about crappy Midnight Commander
> behaviour unser FreeBSD (TERM = cons25) -- Ctrl-O didn't work

I don't suppose you bothered to read the help for Midnight Commander?

	C-o, When the program is being run in the Linux or SCO
	console or under an xterm, it will show you the output of
	the previous command. When ran on the Linux console, the
	Midnight Commander uses an external program (cons.saver)
	to handle saving and restoring of information on the
	screen.

	When the subshell support is compiled in, you can type C-o
	at any time and you will be taken back to the Midnight
	Commander main screen, to return to your application just
	type C-o. If you have an application suspended by using
	this trick, you won't be able to execute other programs
	from the Midnight Commander until you terminate the
	suspended application.

Presumably, this means that if you configured mc with the
--with-subshell option, you'd get the behaviour you're looking for.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself, blaming FreeBSD for your lack of
research.  I don't even _use_ midnight commander. :-)

> Now let's take a look at FreeBSD.   First of all, no --color option of
> ls.  Strange....

It's not strange, it's the way Berkeley ls works.  If you want colour,
install colorls or gnuls, both available in the ports tree and as
packages.

> Terminals issue is probably the one that needs to be impreved in
> FreeBSD.

Perhaps, but the fact that FreeBSD doesn't behave the way someone who's
used to Linux expects it to behave is not condemning in and of itself.

How about you raise some specific issues with the terminal emulation
with a view to improving FreeBSD, instead of taking pot shots? :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.