Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 16:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Katherine Nenno <spam_test@dittosrush.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and large #s of http requests

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Katherine Nenno wrote:

> We host a web site for a popular radio show host (#2 in the US, 1 in
> Canada).  Recently (a few months ago), we planned to have a interactive
> chat with her where people could ask her questions and she could respond.
> What we didn't count on was the number of http requests this would generate.

How many hits/users? My chatroom doesn't stress my machine with 17 people
in the room (admittedly not much, but it's the record so far) with lesser
hardware. What room are you using now?

> The site is hosted on a Pentium Pro 200 machine with 64 meg RAM running
> Apache 1.2.0 and FreeBSD 2.1.7.  The chat script was a custom perl script
> that we contracted out to have written.  We didn't anticipate the number of
> hits that this would generate.  Within the first minute the server crashed.
>
> Now, we have been asked if we can fix the problem and have another chat
> that will work.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do
> this?  Is it even possible without buying tons of expensive equipment?

Certainly, you just need the right room design. You need a persistant
program, rather than reading and writing files for every request. This can
be achieved either by using FCGI for the chat script (I did a 200 line
chat room in FCGI/Perl that was decent once), or by setting up a server
process that the CGI processes talk to. There's a third option, but it
produces a chat room that feels different than the other two.

What kind of chat room are you looking for?