Date:      Sat, 07 Jan 2012 07:44:12 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS Root Won't Mount - Unknown Filesystem

I'm attempting a new install of 9.0-RC3 amd64.  My system has 4 500 GB
drives.  Using this tutorial as a guide:

http://www.aisecure.net/2011/11/28/root-zfs-freebsd9/

I created a boot and a freebsd-zfs partition on each drive.  Then I
created a raid1z pool using all 4 drives.  I followed the rest of the
tutorial exactly and ensured that I copied the zpool.cache to boot/zfs.

When I try to boot my new system, it all goes fine up until it's time to
mount zfs:zroot.  It fails with an "error 2" "unknown filesystem"
error.  I don't know if this means anything but at the mountfrom prompt,
the system will not accept any keyboard input.  Same keyboard works fine
when booted into LiveCD.

Unfortunately because I can't figure out how to get a LiveCD type
environment with sshd running, I can't copy and paste exact error
messages or command outputs.

I've searched and the two things that seem to be important are that
there's a zpool.cache file and that the zfs partitions are correct.  A
'gpart show -l' shows my partitions something close to this:

34 <big number>    ada0    GPT (456G)
34    128             1       null (128K)
162 <big number>   2       disk0 (456G)

What have I done wrong and what do I need to do to get my zfs:zroot pool
mounted as root?

Thanks,

Drew

--