Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2022 01:45:58 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=c3=b6m?= <freebsd-database@pp.dyndns.biz>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk_ident and gptid disabled in /boot/loader.conf

On 2022-01-15 00:04, Taceant Omnes wrote:
> I wonder, why are the two settings below explicitly disabled by
> default in /boot/loader.conf during 13.0 installation? I would think
> it is better to use disk ids or gpt ids in configuration in case the
> disks are moved to another port (instead of /dev/adaX, etc). One way
> to encourage that is to make them visible from the beginning, meaning
> installation, for new users benefit. I had to spend some time with
> google to find how to make them visible, as there is some wrong
> information online.
>
> kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
> kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
>
> There must be a reason for them to be explicitly disabled by default.
> What is it?

The first one fixes some old annoyance with device labels and was discussed here:
https://marc.info/?l=freebsd-current&m=138188193523168&w=2

Patched in r259479 on 2013-12-16.
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/zfsboot?id=ee482f2c28e5675eba7f868427a4750c3121c57a

The second one I can't find the relevant mail list discussion for, but it was
patched in r266107 on 2014-05-15.
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/zfsboot?id=2875e59f52f95d59ab7bf94ea67a98292f4f7775

Maybe someone else has better luck searching through the mail archives for that
one.

/Morgan