Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 10:58:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@nntp1.interworld.net>
To:        tim@futuresouth.com (Tim Tsai)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gated, OSPF, and other fun stuff

> Hi, do you have your OSPF definitions from your PM I can take a look at
> by any chance?  I have been trying to convince our Cisco to talk to our
> PM3 without any luck.  Thanks!

Unfortunately not; the only thing that is particularly different
about the PM3 (and PM2) is that ALL networks in an area have
to be specified in explicit ranges in order to be recognized;
on Cisco, Bay, and gated they (normally) don't.

I just followed the "procedure" in chap 11 of the Livingston
manual (and usually have to access their web site each time
I do this - we don't have a current printed manual).  With a PM3
make sure you have recent firmware :-)  (2 of ours have the V.90
beta 3.8b15, the other is 3.7.2c3; 3.7.2 had problems with some
cheap V.34 modems which c3 helped some).  Note that ospf didn't
work (though was present) before 3.5.  That shouldn't affect you
with a PM3 since they need >=3.7 anyhow.

You have to "set ospf enable", "save all", and reboot before any
other ospf commands will have any effect...
(you may also want to enable snmp before the above "save all";
I usually do).

I then "add ospf area 0.0.0.0", and various:
set ospf area 0.0.0.0 password vvvvvvvv
set ospf area 0.0.0.0 range xxx.yyy.zzz.0/19
(set more ranges as needed)
set ospf area external
set ether0 ospf on
set ether0 rip off
set user-netmask on
save all

reboot yet again (may not be needed)

I don't remember exactly all the steps.  Making this useful needs
the set user-netmask thing; then subnet routes via radius work.
It is a bad idea to run both rip and ospf, though you could if
desperate.  (a *very* bad idea if you are routing subnets via the
segment in question)

3.8 has improved the output from most commands; the show and help
are finally fairly complete.

Both Bay (all versions so far) and our older Cisco code (10.3)
don't have "NSSA" support; I think the gated I run doesn't either.
So, I don't use it in the PM either.

Remember that the hello and dead intervals must match on all
routers talking on a segment; this has bit me several times
and makes the mismatched one refuse to talk to the rest.
I think the PM and cisco defaults match.

-- Pete