Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 1995 13:32:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Make world tools target

I brought this up once before and it was not resolved and I think it will
become a headache if it isn't resolved.

For a variety of reasons, it is not possible generate and install the
handbook and FAQ from either current or stable (2.1) on a 2.0.5 system.  In
fact, this will cause a make world to fall over.

It was suggested that the generation of the docs be postponed to the
install phase.  This will not work because share/doc is installed before
share/sgml and usr.bin/sgmlfmt.

Until the processing procedures of sgml files stablizes, which I don't
expect it will until after 2.2, I would recommend that usr.bin/sgmlfmt
and share/sgml be installed in the tools target.  (sgmlfmt is just a perl
script, BTW.)

This is important because a make world WILL FAIL for anyone anyone
upgrading from 2.0.5 or earlier, to 2.1 (or current) by rebuilding from
source.  Once 2.1 hits the net, I expect a fair amount of mail will come
in regarding this problem.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============