Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:56:20 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@despammed.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6 and smmsp

This is more of an idle curiosity question.

In the last few days, I updated two boxes that were running 4.6 RC's
without any issues---make buildworld, make buildkernel (custom kernel)
make installkernel reboot, make installworld mergemaster.  No
problems, everything relatively smooth.

I have a third, slow box, that I seldom use.  Today, having some time,
I decided to update that as well.  I believe it was also running a 4.6
RC, but am honestly not sure, it may have been running 4.5--I don't
use it very often.

So, things went smoothly until installworld.  That is, buildworld,
building and installing the kernel and the reboot.  Then, I got an
error code because of smmsp group or user problems.  The message
was quite helpful (are you listening Linux coders?) saying to check
UPDATING.  I did that and found that I should run mergemaster -p.  Did
this, however, I had no joy.  There was another suggestion in UPDATING
about using /usr/sbin.mergemaster that also didn't work.

As a good friend was asking about doing fresh installs of 4.6 from a
CDROM, at that point, I said the heck with it and did a fresh install.
That's why this is more of an idle question.  Is there a reason why
this would have been an issue on one box and not another?  The basic
setup is relatively similar on all--none are running sendmail.  My
guess is that perhaps I never had upgraded the old box to one of the
4.6 RC's before doing this--however, I'm moderately certain that it
~was~ running 4.6 RC--but I can't swear to that.

So, is that the most likely explanation--that I'm incorrect and the
old box was still running 4.5 and that the newer boxes, as they'd
already been upgraded to a 4.6 RC wouldn't have this problem (I hadn't
run into the problem in any of the previous upgrades to 4.6 RC's
either).

Thanks, and I reiterate, this is more of an idle question than
anything else, so I do thank anyone who takes the time to respond.

Sincerely,
Scott Robbins