Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/21985: port update

The following reply was made to PR ports/21985; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To: guy@rucus.ru.ac.za
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:22:18 -0500

 On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 02:29:41PM -0000, guy@rucus.ru.ac.za wrote:
 > port update - portlint seems to understand the new format, so I presume port
 > changes are now wanted in the new format?

 Absolutely.  Any new submissions (certainly now, considering the new
 format has been around for "a while") in the old format are going to get
 summarily ignored (at least by me).

 > # This is a shell archive.

 *sigh*  Port updates should:

 	(a) be done as a patch, using diff(1), not a {sh,t}arball
 	(b) have at least a vague attempt to mention the name of
 	    the port in the Subject/Synopsis field

 If you have any doubts, please refer to the Porting Handbook,
 (a) in particular seems to be being ignored/forgotten way too often
 these days.  Perhaps summarily closing such PRs may help.

 PRs that follow the Porting Handbook are *much* more likely to
 get committed in a timely manner.  Help us to help you.

 -aDe

 --
 Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/