Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 15:31:57 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, bde@zeta.org.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MOD_DECL in lkm.h

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > where the config_file might contain something similar to that given to
> > the kernel config. Then I'd like the number of units to come from the
> > config_file rather than from the NXXX in the XXX.h header file.
>
> Make your probe code figure the information out so you con't need
> a config line.  Config lines are evil.  8-(.

Maybe, but there are some devices that are sooooo dumb that you can't
identify them. I have one that has 4 addressable bytes. Four!! And one
of those is write only. The other three are either TTL inputs or outputs
depending on what you write to the fourth byte. If you were to write
probe code for that, how would you identify it?

Another board arrived today. This one has 4 bytes too - one output
read/write, one input read only, and the other 2 aren't used! The outputs
are electromechanical relays. The inputs are optically isolated,
polarity insensitive to 500V (AC or DC).

Both there boards are from a large range of ISA I/O boards. You can't
identify _any_ of them. You have to be careful probing these boards
because if you write to an output byte it turns something external on!

Makes config lines look really attractive to me. 8-)

[ useful stuff deleted ]

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org           119 Cecil Street