Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:03:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
To:        Mark Koskenmaki <bsdlists@nwbombers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Mark Koskenmaki wrote:
> Or, via a VPN.   I have just never seen a VPN,  but believed they put quite
> a bit of extra overhead on the network, reducing throughput.
>
> Now, am I shooting in the dark here, or what???

Nope, you're not.  I missed your earlier posts, but I assume you're using
wireless LAN equipment for ISP access.

PPPoE will do what you're looking for, and well.  It DOES add some
overhead, though.  Rough numbers would be something in the realm of
8-10%.  So if you've got BreezeAccess radios that, with one SU, can do a
theoretical 3Mb...you get closer to 1.7Mb avg after the FHSS
overhead..drop 10% and that leaves you perhaps 1.5Mb.  If you're in a more
realworld situation where your customers are seeing only 700kb or so,
you're down to 630kbs...

Keep it in mind.

Also, the stock freebsd pppoe CLIENT is a big pig.  On a 600mhz celeron
box it'll eat nearly 90% cpu at 100base speeds.  OTOH, while I didnt watch
the numbers, inhouse testing using a Piii 1ghz freebsd pppoe server didnt
bog with 2-5 active full-speed connections.  Again, I didnt look closely
at the load at that end.

If you need any help let me know, I've got some small amount of pppoe w/
freebsd experiance...usually in a test-lab configuration, but i'm sure
that'd help you get started.

---
david raistrick
drais@atlasta.net		http://www.expita.com/nomime.html