Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:39:31 GMT
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing RAID question.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To: "Chris Collins" <collins@collins-ca.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 4:34 PM

> Yes, this is a well known problem -- it's not just adding new RAID
> controllers that can cause it.  Even something as simple as plugging
> in a USB disk before booting can cause the 'da0' device to be
> usurped. In order to prevent it, you can "wire down" your current
> root drive to be da0 in your kernel configuration -- see the section
> "SCSI DEVICE CONFIGURATION" in LINT for details.  Something like
> this should do the trick:
>
>     device scbus0 at ahc0
>     device da0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0

I wonder, can the same be done for IDE? For instance, I have a
test-environment where I boot from the second IDE port (via BIOS). For
WinXP, and such, this is never a problem. But doing so on FreeBSD 4.9R
proved problematic. I got a kernel panic, saying it could not boot off
/dev/ad0s1a in fstab (drive had become /dev/ad1s1a). So, I was wondering
whether I could perhaps "wire down" IDE assignments in a similar fashion.

Thanks,

- Mark