Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:12:33 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
To:        Anthony Barlow <tony@warp.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewalling large ICMP packets..

> >As a note, FreeBSD is immune to the Death Ping (as reported).. I suspect
> >you are tyring to save some susceptable machines in your network from
> >disaster :)
>
> That's one of the mail reasons why we are changing our servers over from
> Linux 1.2.13 to FreeBSD.2.2.1-RELEASE. We're using a firewall on all our
> enrty points to block these and other spoof attempts.

I *KNOW* that bit *grin*

I'm not worried about our machines dying, I'm worried about people ping
flooding our modems, both internally (user - user) and externally (world -
user / machine). All a user has to do to ping flood another user off is
say hit them with a 4kb ping packet from a decently-connected host to the
net.

Also - Ive logged a couple gig of ICMPs going to our dialups over the
week, and thats a lot in australian dollars. When people don't see ping
replies, 9 times out of 10 they stop thinking they've done the deed.

I'm pretty sure the cisco 2501 could do that.. but I don't think this is
the list to ask how to play with IOS (unless of course, someone has
already done it :)

Thanks :)

Adrian