Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:40:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Several Linux errors, please explain

Hello.

I need some help form those who are close to the Linuxulator. While
FreeBSD lacks in a usable Netscape we use the Linux Netscape V4.78
right now and on all machines where this image runs produce this
error:

linux: syscall fstat64 is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=8481)

Does anyone know what this means and how to get rid of it?

Another much more serious problem is related to my investigations
of how KYLIX (Delphi for Linux) could be installed on a FreeBSD box.
For those who wants to try it, I'll try to explain what I did first.

On FreeBSD side you need to enable options USER_LDT in the kernel!

First you need to update several Linux libraries, watch the suggestions
at www.borlande.com or look at the KYLIX CD set (I ran the patches for
glibc for RedHat 6.2). After a succesfuly installation of the patched
libraries I need to install the linux-jpeg package from the ports.
After this has been done, you need a directory of about 200MB free
space capacity to copy the content of the Linux CD to this directory.
In reality, you don't need the whole CD set, but for my ease I copied
the whole bunch. Then you should cd down the setup.data directory and please
'barndelf -t Linux' all binaries you'll find. The reason for this is that
FreeBSD recognizes all binaries located there as SYSV binaries - but they're
Linux!

After you've done this you should a kind of shell script to call setup.sh
in the root directory. I made a shellscript with the guidance of many guys
out of here who helped me prioly (thanks a lot). You need to ensure that
the Linux binaries are found first before the FreeBSD ones get found, so reset
the PATH environment variable to something like

	PATH=/compat/linux ....:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

where the last search paths are those for FreeBSD trees. After you've done this,
the installation shell script should work properly and the installation should be
very simple.

The next step is to call via 'startkylix' KYLIX or Delphi and watch out whats
going on. In my case, a window popped up with a messages that several matrices
of fonts get created. These windows seem to be the 'eternal' windows, they never
hide away ...

Stopping these subprocesses by a explicit kill and restarting 'startkylix' produces
a core dump of Delphi and the kernel logs report this to me:
 .
 .
 .
 .
linux: 'ioctl' fd=11, cmd=7201 ('r',1) not implemented
pid 8420 (delphi), uid 1000: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
pid 8421 (delphi), uid 1000: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
pid 8416 (delphi), uid 1000: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)

The message 'linux: 'ioctl' fd=11, cmd=7201 ('r',1) not implemented' occurs many times
before the delphi image coredumps.

Kylix or delphi gets started by a scmall shell script and on the calling shell this
reports an illegal instruction while starting the Kylix image.

Can anyone help or tell me whether this is a hopeless case?

Thanks.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)