Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2023 16:53:29 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devctl: Failed to detach pci0:1:0:0: Device busy / devctl: Failed to set pci0:1:0:0 driver to ppt: Device busy

> On 30 Jan 2023, at 05:37, Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> =
wrote:
> In some FreeBSD 13.1 machines I have the problem below,in some others =
I don't have it. I would like to know what the causes could be and how =
to fix it.=20
>=20
> root@marietto:/usr/home/marietto # devctl detach pci0:1:0:0=20
>=20
> devctl: Failed to detach pci0:1:0:0: Device busy
>=20
> root@marietto:/usr/home/marietto # devctl detach pci0:2:0:0=20
>=20
> devctl: Failed to detach pci0:2:0:0: Device busy=20
>=20
> Not even it works if instead of detach them, I try to attach them =
directly to the ppt driver :
>=20
> root@marietto:/usr/home/marietto/bhyve/Files # devctl set driver =
pci0:2:0:0 ppt=20
> devctl: Failed to set pci0:2:0:0 driver to ppt: Device busy
> =20
> root@marietto:/usr/home/marietto/bhyve/Files # devctl detach =
pci0:2:0:0=20
> devctl: Failed to detach pci0:2:0:0: Device busy
>=20
> Pci addresses 1:0:0 and 2:0:0 belong to the two GPUs that I have on my =
PC :
>=20
> vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=3D0x030000 rev=3D0xa1 hdr=3D0x00 =
vendor=3D0x10de device=3D0x1c02 subvendor=3D0x19da subdevice=3D0x2438=20
> vgapci1@pci0:2:0:0:     class=3D0x030000 rev=3D0xa1 hdr=3D0x00 =
vendor=3D0x10de device=3D0x1e04 subvendor=3D0x19da subdevice=3D0x2503
>=20
> Actually I have commented this line on /boot/loader.conf,because it =
makes no difference if I keep it uncommented or not. It is totally =
ignored.
>=20
> #pptdevs=3D"1/0/0 1/0/1 2/0/0 2/0/1 2/0/2 2/0/3"=20

Do you have 'vmm_load=3D"YES"' in loader.conf?

If not I am not sure it will have an effect - vmm must be loaded early =
otherwise the card will be grabbed by the vgapci driver rather than be =
put under ppt control.

> In every FreeBSD machine I load the nvidia kernel modules adding the =
line below to /etc/rc.conf :
>=20
> kld_list=3D"nvidia nvidia-modeset"
>=20
> and I have installed the nvidia-driver package on every machine. But =
as I said,in some of them I see the error above,in some others I don't =
see it. I'm not able to isolate the dysfunctional pattern. The xorg.conf =
file is the same for each machine. Can someone help me to troubleshoot =
the error ? thanks.=20

If you want to pass through the video card (as evidenced by devctl and =
pptdevs) then why have the nvidia driver installed?

Perhaps explain what you are trying to achieve rather than asking for =
help on how to sold what you think the problem is.

PS I have trimmed the CCs as that seems impolite.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."