Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:00:07 GMT+0100
From:      "Kees Jan Koster" <Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I combine /tmp and swap?

> >I seem to recall that it used to be possible to combine /tmp
> >and swap. Is that still possible?
>
> Yep.

Great! :-)

> Extract from the FreeBSD handbook (on kernel options):
> [description of MFS option deleted]

Not so great. :-]

> Hope this helps,

Darn. :-(

Not quite, when I do that for my disks and I ask swapinfo, it tells
me I have no swap devices (i.e. I get the header info, but no
devices). Then when I do a mount it shows me two mfs devices, each
mounted on /tmp, but the bonnie results tell me that it only uses one
of the disks. (Yes, they are that much different in speed).

Also, I seem to recall that when I used 2.1.0 I never actually used
this option, because when I was toying around with it, it made my
system run out of memory (8Mb). Back then, I solved it by not using
MFS and using the partitions as regular swap devices.

Thanks anyway,
  Kees Jan Koster